Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Waste Not Want Not




We came home on Sunday with a turkey carcass from Mojo's and 
a very meaty hambone from Mom in VT.  On the left is turkey 
stock which usually is turned into turkey noodle soup, but
eighth grade daughter requested a velvety potato-cabbage
soup instead.  Usually, that soup is made from the remnants 
of the corned beef, cabbage, and potato pot.  The contents are 
boiled and pureed with a stick blender until smooth.  Cream
of Saint Patrick's Day.  They love it.

On the right is the ham stock with celery, carrots, and onions, 
a bag of split peas, chopped garlic, thyme, and bay leaves.
The ham bone was removed and the ultra-tender meat was
cooled and broken into chunks to be added later.  Again,
the soup was zapped (foodie term for pureed) and seasoned.
I cook for my family every day, but today I thought of our
friend Kelly while making this soup.  All you need to do is 
tell me once that you really liked something I made, and I'll
think of you every time I make it from then on.  






I made a pizza on Sunday night quickly, no fuss, because we 
were tired and I didn't want to use every pot in the house like
I usually do.  Again, I used leftovers to top the pizza:  2 
microwaved potatoes from last week, a half of an onion in the
veg drawer, and a piece of kielbasa from the freezer.  The plain
half was for my non kielbasa-eating wife.  Eighth grade
daughter dove in mouth first. Save all leftovers - throw nothing away.

4 comments:

  1. Leftovers have always been my favorites from Turkey-Day (week): uninhibited feeding. Especially the dark meat, but also Red potatoes, slices of honey-baked ham, fruit jello or pumpkin pie topped with Häagen-Dazs vanilla ice cream. But now that trophy wife doesn't cook for the clan, the spoils no longer readily fall under my control. Which is a good thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. After further review, if our turkeys had no breasts but eight thighs and legs, all would be happy. I've never seen so many people in one room so intent on dark meat!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like your proposed modification to the turkey.

    ReplyDelete